F-F Parents as Teachers Offers Free Program
New babies don’t come with instruction manuals, but the Parents as Teachers program is the next best thing. Being a parent is hard work. During the first few years, children learn more and at a faster pace than at any other time in their life. Parents help shape their child’s future through the kinds of experiences they provide.
Babies are born to learn. Parents are their child’s first and most important teacher. The Ferguson-Florissant School District offers Parents as Teachers, a free parent education and family support program, to all families throughout pregnancy until their child enters kindergarten, usually age 5.
Parents are supported by Parent as Teachers certified parent educators trained to translate scientific information on early brain development into specific when, what, how, and why advice for parents. Understanding what to expect during each stage of development helps parents capture teachable moments in everyday life to enhance their child’s language development, intellectual growth, social development and motor skills so children can learn, grow and develop to realize their full potential.
The program offers:
- Personal Visits: Certified parent educators’ help parents understand and be ready for each stage of their child’s development. They offer practical ideas on ways to encourage learning and manage behavior.
- Prenatal Visits: Educators help parents prepare for the arrival of their baby.
- Group Connections: Parents meet to enhance their parenting knowledge and share their experiences. Parent-child activities are fun for all.
- Developmental Screenings: Parent educators offer yearly screenings of overall development, health, hearing and vision.
- Resource Network: Parent educators help families access needed community services that are beyond the scope of Parents as Teachers.
You and your children deserve the support Parents as Teachers provides. Give your child the best possible start in life. Call the Ferguson-Florissant School District, 506-9066, to enroll in this free program.
You must be logged in to post a comment.