Salem Evangelical Church of Florissant Celebrates 125th Anniversary on Nov. 7
The original church was opened at Shreve and Margaretta Avenues in 1885.
Salem Evangelical Church today.
Current and past members and friends of Salem Evangelical Church of Florissant will celebrate the congregation’s 125th anniversary at a worship service and luncheon on Sunday Nov. 7. The celebration will feature former Pastors, hosted by Jeff Schultz, the congregation’s current Pastor.
Earlier 125th anniversary activities have included marching in the Valley of Flowers Parade in May, and an old fashioned picnic on the church grounds in September.
Salem’s congregation was formed in 1885 by German Evangelical families in north St. Louis. Soon after, the first church building was dedicated and a school was opened at Shreve and Margaretta Avenues.
For many years the church was aligned with the Evangelical and Reformed denomination, which later became part of the United Church of Christ.
In 1960 Salem moved to its present location in North St. Louis County.
In 2003 the congregation realigned itself with the Evangelical Free Church of America. That same year, Rev. Schultz was called as Pastor.
Salem claims a long heritage of biblical faith, warm fellowship, compassionate care, and outreach into its community.
As stated by Rev. Schultz, “Our passion is to bring God’s word to life in faithful, exciting and relevant ways. We believe that by God’s grace, that’s part of our future as well. We exist to grow in God’s truth, share God’s love, and spread the good news of Jesus Christ to St. Louis and beyond.”
Salem Evangelical Church is located at 2490 Pohlman Road (at New Halls Ferry). Reservations for the luncheon must be made in advance by calling 314-837-5600.
You must be logged in to post a comment.